How to Budget Your Money
While Moving to a New Home
home selling articles and tips
Stressed out about all the preparations that go into moving? Worried about the cost? Well worry no more! These moving tips will ease the pressure off of your shoulders by telling you exactly how you can better prepare and ultimately, save money.
Hiring a Moving Company
Finding the lowest cost for a moving company can be a really daunting task. Here are 4 tips to make the process a synch:
- Move During the Off-season - The offseason generally is any month other than June or July. Also, make your move in the middle of the month if possible. Moving companies are in high demand during the beginning and end of the month when leases are beginning and expiring, which means higher rates.
- Book Early - You can save yourself some money by scheduling your move with a moving company as early as possible. Booking early enables you to talk to the moving company about when their cheapest rates are, which is typically when they have little business during unpopular moving dates. If you book 6 months early you have more bargaining power than if you book last minute.
- Figure Out the Insurance Situation - Moving companies will offer you insurance on items in the event that they get damaged during the move. Some people will unknowingly pay for moving insurance when their homeowner’s or renter’s insurance already covers those types of damages. Moral of the story is to take a look at your homeowner’s and renter’s insurance policies and double check so you aren’t paying for something you don’t need.
- Get Multiple Estimates and Ask Questions - Moving companies can vary greatly in cost, so it’s best to get at least 3 estimates. One company may be in high demand while another has a lot of open bookings; which one do you think will be cheaper? When you are talking to representatives, asking certain questions will ensure you don’t have any surprise costs. One question to ask is whether or not there is a charge for moving large or specialty items. These types of items include: snowmobiles, jet-skis, hot tubs, etc. (Source: BC Alberta Movers) Another thing to ask about is whether or not they charge an extra fee for packing appliances; some will need special packaging to ensure they don’t break while moving.
Useful Quick Tips:
- You may be able to write off a good chunk of your moving expenses with tax deductions. Another good idea would be to take pictures of everything you want to donate from your old home so you can get tax deductions for those as well.
- Reduce your stress by utilizing printable moving checklists. There are checklists for every aspect of moving to ensure you have everything covered.
- Do yourself a favor by checking movers.org to ensure the moving company you are considering is reputable. They have a list of qualified movers on their website. It would also be a great idea to check out reviews for each company you have in mind.
All that worry should be melting away since you’re now equipped with all the money-saving tips of moving. Now that your money-saving needs have been met, you can look forward to that new move and next chapter in your life!
Home Selling Tools